Fort Garry Hotel (NASSH venue)
The Fort Garry Hotel was built in 1913 by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway and is designated a National Historic Site of Canada. The hotel will be host to all NASSH 2018 sessions and events (except the closing-night banquet).
A block of 80 rooms has been set aside for NASSH (with the ability to reserve at the preferred rates for two days prior to and after NASSH). The preference of the organizers is that participants stay at the Fort Garry Hotel (although alternate accommodations are detailed below) in rooms that will best serve their needs.
[Update: April 10, 2018] The Fort Garry Hotel has changed their reservation system. Clicking on the link below no longer takes you directly to a NASSH-specific page. Instead, when you click on this link, you will be able to search by dates. Entering the promotional code NASSH will give you the preferred rate. Note: rooms with two beds are no longer available for the night of May 28.
- Single/Double occupancy: $159 CDN + taxes
- Triple occupancy: $179 CDN + taxes
- Quad occupancy: $199 CDN + taxes
Breakfast is not included in the room rate, but is available in the Fort Garry Hotel’s Broadway Breakfast Room. In-house guests receive a discounted price of $16.50 for full hot breakfast/$12 for continental (prices as of 2017).
Nearby coffee shops offer other early-morning options.
- Self parking – $18 + taxes per night (located off Garry Street at the back of the hotel with access to both a surface lot and underground lot)
- Valet parking – $27 + taxes per night (simply pull up at the front of the hotel and hand your keys to either the bellmen or at the front desk during check-in)
- Please remember to register your vehicle at the front desk.
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight and lock your vehicle.
- Prices as of 2017.
Pembina Hall Residence
A more cost-conscious alternative, Pembina Hall Residence is located on the Fort Garry campus of the University of Manitoba. It was built in 2011 and features single rooms, each with their own bathroom and shower.
- Each room in Pembina Hall is complete with a single twin size bed.
- The nightly rate includes: linen, towels, free wifi, and shower amenities.
- Linen and towel change is every 3 days on a 5 or more night reservation.
The nightly rate is $71 CDN ($83.96 including taxes)
NEW (as of March 15, 2018): The Pembina Hall Residence reservation system is now accepting bookings from NASSH members. To reserve a room at Pembina Hall Residence, click here and scroll down to select NASSH, which will allow you to make a reservation.
NOTE: The University of Manitoba campus is 11.5 km (7 miles) from the NASSH conference site at the Fort Garry Hotel. If you drive between the locations, you will be responsible for paying for parking. Alternatively, Winnipeg Transit bus route 160 will transport you between the sites. You can check schedules at Winnipeg Transit Navigo. Expect about 30 minutes travel time each way by bus. Current bus fare is $2.95 per ride.
Inn at the Forks
An alternate hotel located within walking distance of the conference site (600 metres/0.37 miles from the Fort Garry Hotel), the Inn at the Forks is located within The Forks and features Smith Restaurant and Riverstone Spa.
The hotel has offered NASSH participants the following rates:
- Standard Queen Guestroom: $184 CDN plus taxes and incidentals
- Superior King Guestroom: $184 CDN plus taxes and incidentals
- Deluxe Guestroom: $194 CDN plus taxes and incidentals
- Based on single/double occupancy, plus applicable taxes. Depending on availability
For more information on the hotel, visit the Inn at the Forks website.
NOTE: To book a room at the Inn at the Forks, you will have to call the hotel’s toll-free number at 1-877-377-4100. Quote the group name “North American Society for Sport History” in order to receive the NASSH rates.
A number of other major hotel chains have facilities in Downtown Winnipeg, including: